Zehnoa (Genova in the fan translation) is a boss in Trials of Mana. It is a demon door conjured by Belladonna, barring the path to the upper chambers of Laurent. In the 3D version, it is revived in either the Mirage Palace or the Dark Castle.
Battle[edit | edit source]
Preparation[edit | edit source]
Given that the first encounter represents a substantial difficulty spike compared to previous boss fights, it becomes all the more important for the player to maintain a full stock of each available healing item as well as to have a designated healer. The party should have their initial class change done by this time; therefore Charlotte in either of her intermediate classes is one of the safest choices. Knight Duran or Monk Kevin are passable at best, though it is likely one or both are attackers first. Zehnoa has a weakness to Undine that will be difficult to exploit in the first battle, but Beiser's Night Market has the Poseidon Claw. In the original version, the player should purchase at least three; in the remake, they are given three from a chest near the save point in front of the arena, and may have more from seed farming.
First encounter[edit | edit source]
The battle will begin by having the party blown to the back of the room, and then spectral spears rise from the arena floor at random. On top of that, it summons an army of Shape Shifters and has a bevy of brutal magic attacks. The player should use Poseidon Claws to squelch its flames, all the while ignoring the doppelgängers prancing around the arena if possible. Drake Scales can also be of some help, but as long as the player remains locked on to the door, it will fall.
3D Version[edit | edit source]
Zehnoa - Level 22
Attacks[edit | edit source]
- Trap I - Creates magical pink spikes popping up from square tiles.
- Trap II - Creates large boulder that crashes into a small area.
- Repel - Blows a strong gust that send targets flying near the room entrance.
- Change Form [Moon Elemental] - Fire inside mouth turns yellow, then inflicts the Minor status to a character.
- Fireball + [Fire Elemental] - Shoots out a big fireball onto the ground.
- Blaze Wall [Fire Elemental] - Turns red, then creates large columns of fire that may reduce target's vision.
- Dissolving Wave [Fire Elemental] - Turns red, then turns a small area into lava where a column of fire twirls around.
Spoils[edit | edit source]
- 1200 Lucre
- 4000 EXP
Second encounter[edit | edit source]
With the second class change and Undine available, the second battle is somewhat easier; but this is counterbalanced by Zehnoa's higher stats. Hawkeye and his Water Diversion along with Angela and her ice magic help with pacing the fight, while Duran or Charlotte may have Ice Saber available. Once again, the player should exploit the weakness to Water magic and moves, ignoring the Shape Shifters to cool Zehnoa down.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Zehnoa's unique battle theme, Obsession, is often mistaken as Secret of Mana, the battle theme of Grapplavine and Fiegmund.